Sunday, June 1, 2008

Clearing Off Cigarette Butts From The Streets


It's the 1st of June already. As imposed by the Ministry of Health, we are now prohibited to smoke in all public places. Every premises will be banned from smokers, especially restaurants and cafes, where smokers have been proned to hang out there. We can't even smoke in our own cars now. So where does that leave us? Well, in the privacy of our own home, of course.

It's really a surprising move by the authorities, but I wanna look at it at the positive side. This might be an opportunity for me to reduce the number of cigarette consumption as I tend to smoke whenever everyone else around me smokes. Yes I'm a smoker, but that doesn't mean that I wanna stay a smoker for the rest of my life. I am fully aware of the dangers of it in the long run. If this move is effective enough to encourage me to full abstinence, I'd be happy to accept that.

In addition, this move is a great step in reducing, if not eliminating, the number of child and teenage smokers below 18. Patrons will now be asked for identification cards from the attendants on the counter should they wish to purchase a pack of cigarettes. By barricading access to young smokers to purchase cigarettes with their pocket money, this will encourage the youngsters to realize that they're not legal to smoke at their age.

On the downside, its really tough for every smokers to swallow, and most restaurant and cafe owners will feel the pinch because smokers bring money to them.

Let's face it. At least I get better ventilation indoors from now on.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates