Monday, December 10, 2007

Before The Uniform Era

"This ain't school, it's a bloody prison!"

The Business School, formerly The Business & Management Department of Sultan Saiful Rizal Technical College (MTSSR), isn't what it used to be. Back then there weren't many students. Only less then a hundred populated the campus in one of the quietest part of Gadong (although ironically situated just 4 kilometers from The Mall). The students used to have more freedom and more laid back life, but still managed to ace their tests and complete their assignments. Most importantly, they had a lot of fun among themselves and get along with their tutors.

Let us journey back to the days of my good friend, former classmate from our days in the Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien College and also my ex-super senior of The Business School, Mr Haji Mohd Helmy bin Haji Yutar. I spent the whole day working out with him at Harun Gym and reminiscent about old times, and he brought up the story of his wonderful times in The Business School. Back then, the students and lecturers get along very very VERY well, and restrictions were taken very lightly as the majority of the students were quite mature enough to take care of themselves. They still got the job done, studied hard, respected their lecturers and attended classes like good students.

The premise used to be the University of Brunei Darussalam before they moved to Tungku. MTSSR could not accommodate the number of students so they sent (or exiled) the Business & Management Department to Gadong. The campus was entirely operated in 'The Green Building' (air-conditioners not included). Despite the small classroom capacity and lack of facilities provided, the students managed to survive throughout the course and they are mostly alive and well now, heading towards a better career with good paychecks. The current premise which I'm situated now used to be off limits as it was in critical state and in need of repairs and renovation. Nevertheless, it was better than being situated away from town. Nothing is more fun than a quick trip to the cineplex after a day in class.


The originally proposed renovation of 'The Green Building' which was scrapped due to the use of the color Brown.

Helmy also recalled the friendliness and coolness of his previous seniors during his study at the Business & Management Department of MTSSR. They had so much fun hanging out before and after school hours, and sooner then he thought, he felt like he was already part of the family. There was no bias in choosing friends. Everyone in the campus was like brothers and sisters, and the tutors were like mothers and fathers to them. No one dictated their ranks as seniors and juniors as everyone treats each other the same way.

The best place to hang out among the seniors and juniors was at the old Student Centre, complete with a television set and a ping-pong table. Everyone could actually use the room to chill out. They could even bring along a PlayStation 2 and go head-to-head with friends on Pro Evolution Soccer and Winning Eleven. Even the school lecturer, Sir Fadzil, didn't miss all the fun and joined his students for a match. That was what it was all about in The Business & Management Department back then, mixing study time and fun time.


In 2005, I enrolled for the Business & Finance course and began my journey in The Business School in Pre-National Diploma. Helmy introduced me to several of his friends who were among the coolest super-seniors I've known. They also shared their experience and gave a lot of advices to me before they left. Back then, Yamin was the School President. We had the most exciting orientation session. The super-seniors did a fantastic job in making the orientation an entertaining and meaningful experience that changed us to become more open and confident. Both Reza and Yamin were my role-model for becoming a dynamic student. We still keep in touch now, along with Helmy, who was well known as the IT guy in campus whose tasks were to set up the projector, laptop and speakers in the lecture theatre when needed (now succeeded by none other than… me, unfortunately).

The Amazing Duo, Reza and Yamin. Helmy was busy setting up the projector when this photo was taken.


By the time I got to the school after the launching of 'The Business School' as an independent technical college (that's right, it's a College for god sakes!) under the Department of Technical Education in 2005, things had started to become different. Yes, the campus has indeed gotten bigger, and the students no longer had to bear the heat in class as air-conditioners were installed. Classes have expanded to accommodate the increasing number of students. Lecturers finally have their own individual rooms. Finally the canteen was provided, which means that the students were no longer required to go out for foraging food during breaks and lunch.

But the family feeling among seniors and juniors started to fade away slowly. What's more, we are instructed to wear uniforms effective last September. It's really… uhh, blue. Honestly, I didn't really feel comfortable wearing the uniform because A) I'm 24 years old, B) they look like SOAS uniforms and C) I've already worn a few pairs of SOAS uniforms and I definitely don't wish to put them on again! I missed the old days when we still got to wear whatever we prefer, and still looked good, sharp and smart wearing them to campus. Unlike uniforms, wearing normal attires used to make me feel more adult wherever I go. Now that I've put on the uniform, I couldn't even visit the arcade for some stress-relief!


~ I'm blue, daba dee daba da, daba dee daba da, yaba daba doo ~

Yes, I should be grateful that we get a more spacious classroom, a wireless connection and sufficient parking space. But nothing could ever beat the sense of belonging in Helmy's experience. And, for crying out loud, I'm an adult, not a teenager anymore. I don't want to wear a freakin school uniform. Sometimes I wish I could be in the same batch with Helmy and share the same joy he had in the early days of The Business School. By now I'd probably be taking my degree or be a progressive rock star. But then again, I've already passed halfway, and I've only got a year to complete my course, so there's no turning back.

The future of The Business School is unpredictable. You can tell by the drastic differences of the way it looks now and before. Let's just hope that by the time I leave the school and graduate, giant robots arrive and threaten the school to go back to its old roots.


"It's called The Business College, you human scum!"

1 comments:

Frost said...

Dude where is my picture? ckp pasal aku tpi wajah ku nada. But in any kinda way. Nice blog dude.

Blogger Templates